Thursday, July 2, 2009

A new laundry shelf and some painting info!

The other day I came across these little pill containers at the $2 shop. I thought I'd use them as an easy (some would say 'lazy') way to make boxes, then I thought I would try and make a shelf for the laundry with them.

I used a craft knife to cut them up - if you're going to try this be VERY CAREFUL!! I used a skirting board to make the shelf supports, a piece of wood for the triangle on top and the star is a scrapbooking split pin.
The finished shelf...it still needs a lot more accessories. My mum showed up with that little can of spray starch.
Now for those of you who wanted to know how I paint things here goes... I mostly use interior house paint which I buy in sample pots - they are 'low sheen acrylic' paint. Some of the shinier plastic lids aren't that easy to paint. It may work better to use primer on them first, but I never have enough patience to do that! I like to see results fast! LOL!Most of the pictures I use I find on the internet or are things I have scanned. I put the pictures into a document in Microsoft Word and resize them, then I print out the labels in sheets so I've got a supply ready.
Once I've printed the pics I spray them with a 'fixer'. Sometimes (when I can't find the fixative spray!) I don't do this. I just use any sort of white glue to glue the pics on. Then I apply a thin coat of a water-based varnish, usually gloss because that's the only one I can find at the moment. If I haven't used a fixer on the picture it can go a little blurry, sometimes that just adds to the 'aged' effect.
I use my Jo Sonia's paints and a very tiny, fine paintbrush to do the rusty details.
Hope that info helps, happy painting!
Mercedes

23 comments:

  1. They look so good Mercedes! Such a cute little house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shelf, Mercedes. And thank you for the painting tutorial. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thaaaaanks for the tutorial.
    wonderful shelf. I love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely....Love your house at least you don't have to worry about mini laundry. Mini hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful tutorial, Mercedes. It is comforting to know that something so gorgeous can be made so easily with the right tools.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi dear, thank you for he tips. Come to my place, there is a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely idea for a shelf! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mercedes the laundry room is so pretty and when I look at the photos it seem real!!!
    Thanks for the painting info.
    Meli

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mercedes, you are so clever!!, With any stuff you make things absolutely cute..!
    Thanks for sharing, you are a generous person!!:-D

    Hugs,
    Paloma
    www.untallerdeminiaturas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely things you have done ;) I love you blog <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an great idea Mercedes,with the pillboxes...clever girl!!!
    Thank you for sharing,and it looks beautiful as always!!

    X,Sabiha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love,love,love your little french boxes...tres chic!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is brilliant! Love it! I have some of these boxes at work too!!
    Thanks so much for explaining how you did this! Also for the paint and sealer tips! You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It took me a minute to clue in that this was in miniature scale (though I should have known better!). In my reader, it looked like you had done it in your real laundry area!

    This is beyond sweet. You are a true artist!!

    Cheers,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. How do you have 15 comments already, lol!!! WOW!! I woulda never thought to use that pill box for little shelves!! LOL...Your so smart!! :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the shelf. Thanks for the tutorial. I have been admiring your rusty stuff for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the tutorial Mercedes! Your shelf is wonderful like your other minis too! :)

    http://saanan.vuodatus.net/

    ReplyDelete
  18. How clever! It's good to see how you can use 'found objects' in the dolls house, and that it fits in with the scale! I will be bookmarking your painting techniques for when I get around to painting my house!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful Tutorial!! Me encanta tu blog y las cosas que haces. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Mercedes! I have an award for you over at my blog! No need to accept or pass it on, just wanted you to know that your blog is one of my very favorites! I've read all of your posts and look forward to each and every one!
    Blessings, Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mercedes, you won the drawing for baby Joseph. Please email me your mailing address. mdtritch@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Come by if you want for an award for having written a best seller :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!