Thursday, June 11, 2009

Bathroom and Laundry

Now this room is probably the one that still needs the most work done on it, still plenty more accessories to be made. Here is the bathroom before the renovation. The bathroom is on the second floor with a door through to it from the master bedroom. I haven't decided exactly where the furniture will go permanently yet. I found that pretty pitcher and bowl at a market, the mirror (and candles above the bath) were a gift from Sylvia. I made the little shell picture above the bath with some of the worlds tiniest shells from a beach near my house, some of them are only 3mm long.I bought the little bottle of 'Stain Away' at the show (very expensive!). And here's another example of Anne's genius, the linen cupboard. It is the chimney breast on the other side of the wall behind the bed. We were going to put a door on it but decided it would be more interesting to have open shelves, I still need to make some linens to go in there, the towels are made from a set of baby wash cloths from the $2 shop, they were the perfect colours. Rosanna's beautiful floral basket is filled with vintage laundry supplies and Katie sent me that teensy basket (it's hiding the end of the skirting that I haven't finished properly yet, lol!) I think I need a little tiny vacuum cleaner to go under the bottom shelf! The mesh cupboard was made by a lady at our club (I bought it before I knew how to make things!). The beautiful vintage 'tin' jug (along with all the other brocante in the house) was made by Sylvia. The shelf of canisters I made just before the show, the paint was still wet when I stuck it on the wall. The butlers tray and perfume bottles I made also.

When I first got the dollhouse I didn't want to have to 'waste' a whole room being a bathroom. But now I really love this room even though it's not finished. I think it's because of the wallpaper (it's real 1:1 wallpaper), those stripes are just gorgeous colours and seem to make the room smile! I'm going to have a lot more fun in here!

I'm glad so many of you enjoyed the master bedroom, your comments have made me very happy! Thank you all!

Mercedes

18 comments:

  1. I love this room. It's my favorite by far. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merce, what happened to those furniture/fixture in the "before" picture? They look very good! You know what, if I have the space, I will devote a room to be the bathroom. It is my fav spot in my house. I read there, stitch there and spend hours in there. Yours is a bathroom I can probably just live in and not come out..lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kat and Sans, it is a lovely, comfy room. Matteo would never go out of there: exactly what he already does in his own bathroom! I love all th details you managed to put inside this roo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love how you did the walls-- is the blue on top paper, or did you paint it? It looks great! Such a great room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots to look at and so interesting, I love it!!...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful transformation. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all!

    I have to say that having young children I never get to spend much time in the bathroom. When they hear me close the door it's their cue to start fighting or need me for something!

    That old furniture is not as good as it looks Sans!

    Jill, the blue at the top is wallpaper from a Susan Winget sample book. An old lady at the club had the sample book and I loved it, unfortunately she threw it out...I nearly cried.

    Mercedes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah.... I thought that first picture was a pic your were modeling your room after!! I thought it was real!!! Amazing! -ara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mercedes the bathroom is lovely!!!
    I like to you decorated it and all the details.
    Meli

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love your dollhouse! All those little details :)It's fantastic!

    http://saanan.vuodatus.net/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mercedes,
    It is a beautiful transformation, I love the wallpaper and the cabinet!!
    love Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooooo, what a great room! As cosy as the bedroom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know, I didn't like devoting an entire room to a bathroom either- but seeing yours makes me think that most people don't give the bathroom a big enough room. I love how it looks so comfy and it's not all crowded together. I really love the open shelf- and of course all the little touches. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the laundry room in the bathroom, looks pretty.

    Susan
    Susan's Mini Talk

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great before and after shots! It looks very pretty now, yes one of those bathrooms where you'd enjoy spending more time than needed. I love the reflection of the daylight on the floor in the first picture.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your room and all the details you have put into it so far. I love the idea of putting samll shells in a frame for decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your blog and especially love this bathroom! What did you use for the walls? Love love love!

    ReplyDelete
  18. PS. My son and his wife are at the beach this weekend. I asked them to find some tiny shells for me. Love the art you made with them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!